Background

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lists and Other Crazy Thoughts

I am a list person.  I love making lists, then diligently crossing items off my list.  My problem, however, is that I get bored easily then toss my list to the side and forget about it.  Then I remember the said list, look it over, decide I need to make a new list and hence the process begins all over again.  Yes, I even drive myself a little nuts.

So my lists seem to keep growing.  I have much to do, but as you know from the previous post, I am the Queen of Procrastination, so then things start building up.  I like to tell myself that I work better under pressure, but not sure if that's really the case because then I stress.  Many of my list items involve photography.  Part of the reason they don't get crossed off is out of fear, I suppose.    

One reason (of many) I love my husband...last night I was discussing with him my desire to contact a local photographer to be my mentor last night.  And he gives me a look, and I said, What?!  He said "You don't need to do that, you don't give yourself enough credit.  You take amazing photos, better than a lot of other photographers, and you need to stop being afraid and just do it".  He is absolutely right, though!

My downfall is my negativity and my desire for perfection.  I think everything has to be absolutely perfect or I won't post it or share with people...and I am this way with everything!!!  I agonize over every little detail, every little blur.  I am overly critical.  Even now, I could look at one of my photos that is perfectly fine to the eye of most and I will point out the negative.  Kade's one year announcement has been sitting in my Photoshop program for about a week now, finished, but I am still thinking did I choose the right pictures...is each one sharp enough, etc.  SO, one goal for me this year is to BE POSITIVE and VALUE MYSELF.  I will add that to my list, haha!  

So, I tried to find pictures I have taken lately that do not have Kade in them...and well, it's hard to find many.  I have a few scenic shots, a few of Shane on his Quad, a few of Christmas lights at Shore Acres, our Christmas tree and that may be it.  Wow, I really need to broaden my photographic vision like I had to before Kade.  Here's a couple from Oregon I took:

Shore Acres, so beautiful!  This is HOME to me.  Before Kade I would have taken pictures of every little thing I saw at the beach, but instead I got only three scenic pictures. Crazy!
Moon at Shore Acres...I took this because my Dad said it was going to be way too foggy at Shore Acres, not a good night to see the lights and we wouldn't be able to see the moon.  When I got there, what did I see?!  A picture perfect view of the moon, so I took it to say haha, we COULD see the moon, Dad.  It actually came out pretty good considering no tripod and pitch blackness.  Yay!  Thanks to Dad I wouldn't have taken this shot.

So what have I learned from this post?!
Don't be so hard on myself...concentrate on my positives, not my negatives... and take a moment to look at the beauty around me in addition to Kade.  

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Great Post Jody! I am a list maker too! Tad often makes fun of me for it! I'd be lost without all of my lists of what nots!! I think that we are our biggest critic! Its easy to find fault, especially when its something that we love to do, or make a career out of! Shane is right, there are alot of not so great photographer's out there charging insane prices! You have an eye for photography, and try not to let your second thoughts get the best of you! Love Jenny