Background

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sleep Funk

I am SOOO tired a lot these days!!!

Kade was and has always been on a regular sleep routine and even with all the life changes he has stuck to it.  He goes to bed at 8 PM...and sleeps till 7:30 or 8:00 AM.  Sometimes if I'm still in bed and don't feel like getting up yet, he'll chill in his crib till 8:30 or 9...but I don't do that too often.   He also takes one 2 hour afternoon nap starting at 1:30 PM.

Kallista has some kind of a sleep pattern, although not consistent as she is only 4 weeks old and it can widely vary.  She is also exclusively breastfed and while breastfeeding provides more nutrients, it digests easier meaning she has to feed more often.  Just after Kade goes to bed, I do a feed until she is nice and relaxed then put her in her rocker or swing while I go shower and brush my teeth.  This usually happens around 9.  Sometimes if I'm lucky she'll stay asleep and other times I have to feed her again.  She will sleep until around 1:30 AM, then she wakes, I change her diaper, feed her again, and burp her...Go back to bed around 2:30...up again at 4:30 AM for a diaper change, feeding, and burping.  If I'm lucky I go back to bed around 6 AM for an hour or two of rest until Kade wakes up....unless she is having stomach issues, then I don't go back to bed.  On the weekends, Shane has graciously gotten up with Kade while I sleep, which is as long as Kallista allows me to.  Then during the day she does little sleeps throughout the day... she will sleep around 11'ish for a bit.  This is when I get  some housework done or  run errands in town or take Kade to the park.  At Kade's nap time, we all go down for nap time.  I can sometimes get a couple hours of sleep here...but again it all depends on Kallista's temperament.

My hope is that Kallista will become a good sleeper like Kade became. Then it will be uninterrupted nights, morning nap for Kallista (Kade & Mommy bonding time), then afternoon naps (Mommy time).  That will be amazing...but we'll see if it actually happens that way.

Cell phone pic of a sleepy girl...

For the most part Kade's sleep schedule has gone unchanged, but the arrival of his sister has affected him slightly.  A couple nights a week, he will awaken crying.  We're not really sure why or what awakens him...but it happens randomly.  He usually only does this when he is sick, so assume it's the life changes.  He will calm right down if we hand him the rubber spouted sippy cup, but we're breaking him from that.  He eventually goes back to sleep and is fine for the rest of the night.  

Cell phone photos,,,I often take photos of the kids sleeping because the little poses crack me up and are so cute.  The cell phone is handy and easy to snap a quick shot.  Kade often puts his feet up on the sides of his crib.  The bottom left photo is when Kade took off his pajama bottoms and his diaper, falling asleep with a bare butt.  Unfortunately I had to wake him up to put a diaper on him, change his linens and pajamas, as well as clean him up.    

No comments: