Background

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day Nap

Sleep...Kade has never been much of a sleeper.  I read all about those babies that sleep all the time, but not ours, of course!  He would do little 10-15 minute catnaps, with the occasional hour long nap, and usually with us or in his swing or bouncer .  I'm sure a lot of it was his tummy discomforts (Acid Relux, Colic,etc).  But thankfully he has outgrown most of that, although he is still a powerful spit-upper that projects FAR.

We have been trying to establish a daytime sleep routine in his own bed.  Each day he's doing a little better with naps and a tad longer. Yesterday he took one 70 minute nap and a 60 minute nap with a 15 minute catnap in between.  That is good for him.  Today he took a whopping 2 hour 40 minute nap...the longest he's ever done, especially in his own bed.  We'll see how he does for his evening nap. This is him napping today during his record nap...

He was completely out...Amazingly he didn't wake himself.

Kade has never really taken a pacifier, he will spit it out right away and gets mad when we put it in his mouth. Which was fine as we were always anti-pacifier, but then we experienced a colicky baby and we just wished he would take the pacifier.  He is a comfort nurser.  He falls asleep nursing all the time.  So as soon as he starts to fall asleep, we take him to his bed, which of course he wakes up as soon as he is laid down, then I give him the pacifier.  I hold it in his mouth for awhile and the sucking helps keep him calm.  Ever since he discovered his hands and started sucking on them, he has been a little more receptive to the pacifier.  He eventually falls asleep.  The trick now is keeping him asleep.  He is still a startler.  His hands will jerk, his eyes open, and he's awake crying.  Sometimes I swaddle him, so the jerking won't wake him.  Hopefully the startle reflex will go away soon!

Nighttime is different.  He sleeps very well at night...sometimes 5-7 hours straight, but that's a different story which I will write about in the future.

*

No comments: