Background

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Oleanders...Blech!

This past week was just as "fun-filled" as any other week.

I got to substitute teach two days in a row last week.  It was a nice break from the regular stay at home routine.    I subbed for the reading specialist one day and the special education teacher the next.  I prefer these classes, because they are small groups of kids.  It is fun.  I was asked to substitute today as well, but Shane has to work so I couldn't do it.  It's also fun because I sub at my old school so I get to chat with the teachers I used to work with.

Shane had to work this last weekend, so I worked on homework.  It was an awful windy, wet, and cold weekend. Kade and I stayed inside mostly.

Although, we spent a good majority of our Sunday in the ER for Shane.  His shoulder and neck locked up on him first thing in the morning causing severe pain.  He has had this before, but he said this was the worst pain he had ever had.  After a long waiting time there they finally gave him a narcotics injection and an anti-inflammatory injection along with medicine to take home.

Sadly, Shane had to get up first thing Monday morning (and he was still sore from the day before) to pick up a chipper from the equipment rental store in Yucca Valley as we had a reservation.  We have been having Oleander drama for a while now.  After learning about Oleanders I have no idea why people have them at all!  Here's the short version....Flashback to last summer when we had septic tank issues due to the Oleander roots invading our septic lines.  Well, Shane pulled about 7 of our Oleander bushes, plus clippings, and had put them in an empty area until we could figure out what to do with them.  We got a knock on our door months later from the city telling us that someone reported us for illegal dumping and they needed to be put on our property.  So Shane moved them all the next day next to our fence, along the road, granted it was on the other side of our fence and not completely in our yard.   We got a burn permit to burn them so Shane was just waiting for them to dry out a bit more so they wouldn't smoke.  About a week or two later we receive a letter from the city saying we must remove them within two weeks or be fined $1000 for dumping.  Ugh!  So we thought okay, we will burn them, but then I talked to our neighbor and he was like "You know you can't burn Oleanders because the fumes are toxic and poisonous right?!"  Sure enough... I looked it up on the internet to double check and yes they are.  So Shane and I decided on taking it to the dump. Shane started loading it up and filled the trailer but quickly realized that it would take about 6 or 7 trips to the dump to dispose of it all which meant having to tie it all down every time.  That's when he thought of the chipper.  So we rented a chipper and spent all Monday morning chipping it all.  It's amazing that the huge pile turned into such a small chip pile.  But it is all done and cleared now.  Thank Goodness!!  Shane spread it all out and it looks nice.  So for now we hope to have less drama from our remaining 3 Oleander bushes.
Making a mess of the canned goods, like every other day.


No comments: