He gives us a lot of joy, but also a couple scares. In 2003, he was attacked by two big dogs. Shane chased off the dogs when he heard Cyrus crying. There was blood pouring out of Cyrus. Because the nearest emergency vet was over 100 miles away and the cost was outrageous, Shane took him to a Navy doc he knew on base. He got patched up and sent home. Apparently the dog bite had just missed one of Cyrus' arteries. He made it through the night and continued to be fine. He's a trooper! Also in 2003, Cyrus had a reaction to his vaccines, collapsing and having to be put on oxygen. But he also came through fine.
Just this week, Cyrus gave us another scare. I took him to the vet for a check up and vaccinations. He is quite healthy and his check-up went great. He was given a pre-treatment for his sensitivity to vaccines. We waited 10 minutes then he was given the vaccines (Rabies and the 5-in-1) . We waited in the waiting room to make sure he didn't have a reaction. About 5 minutes later, Cyrus started sniffing oddly, crying, and then arched his back, becoming stiff and unresponsive...I quickly told the receptionist he was having a vaccine reaction. The technician came and got him to take him to the back. He apparently vomited once back there. They immediately gave him steroids, benadryl, and oxygen to snap him out of the reaction. The vet told me that he would be fine, but they want to keep him for a couple hours to make sure he is stable. I returned a couple hours later. He was doing okay, just groggy from the meds. The vet said no more vaccines for Cyrus. Since he is older and has such bad reactions, it may just keep getting worse, so let's not chance it anymore. We just have to be careful where we take him so he is not exposed to Parvo and other canine diseases. He is his normal self now. I'm hoping he doesn't give us any more scares!
Our Cyrus boy



1 comment:
Oh Jody, how scary. I think that would be horrible. I always LOVED that little dog (even if he really didn't like me)! He was always to scared of me the couple times I went to your house. I'm glad to see he is doing well. That is crazy that a shot can do that to a dog. Hope you guys are doing well. Where is the baby update? Your killing me here!
Post a Comment