On Wednesday, August 19th, Shane and I went on our first Safari Drive. Just outside of Gaborone there is a nature reserve there called Mokolodi ( www.mokolodi.com). They have quite a few African animals, although not as many if we went further away from the city. However, it was still an adventure. I took many photos although I had some difficulty with the lighting. I need to brush up more on using my DSLR in dim lighting. Because there are so many photos, I will be trying to break up the photos in chunks in this blog (i.e. elephants, cheetahs, and so forth). Please be patient as it takes FOREVER to upload photos as the internet is rather slow in Africa.
The most amazing and memorable experience of this trip was seeing and petting the cheetahs. They have a special area in the reserve that you can go and pet them. They drive you out to this humongous area that is fenced. There is a lot of area for the cheetahs to roam. The guide, Kinusi (sp?) lets us in and then says to us..."go find the cheetahs"...So all ten of us, fan out and try to find the cheetahs. This is a huge area, so it takes us quite a while. The guide actually found them...the two brothers. They are 13 years old and just lying in the brush next to a tree. We got to go up to them and actually pet them. They were purring so loudly...and their fur was so soft. Shane was the first one to go up, but I was unable to get a picure of just him with the cheetah. Shane and I decided to get a photo together next to the cheeteah, so I handed my camera to Victor, one of the Marines. This was the time the cheetah decided he was done with the petting and pictures. And he snapped at me! Totally freaked me out!!! Victor kept snapping pictures as this was occuring. The cheetah then got up and went to lay next to his brother, tired of us. So we all followed him over there. Crazy I know. We were able to pet them, but the one cheetah was still giving us the eagle eye. The guide took group pictures of us, although none of us looked at the camera at the same time in any of the pictures. Most of us started to leave, but Rick and Shane stayed behind to pet the cheetahs some more. They tolerated the petting. Shane left and then it was Rick. Rick decided he would move in closer to pet the cheetah. He swore teh cheetah really liked him best and was just being stand offish because of everyone else. But that was when the cheetah had really had enough...and jumped up and snapped at Rick's hand. Rick jumped back. Hilarious to watch, but no photographs to document this. The guide was laughing at Rick the whole time. Unforgettable!!!
Here's photos of the Cheetah petting experience...a few of my favorites are first, hence the largeness of them. Followed by other photos....
The sun setting over the African nature Reserve...so pretty. I took this as we were walking over to see the cheetahs. The guide had just found them and we played follow the leader to get to them. Notice how dark it is, hence the need for flash in the remaining photos. But they didn't turn out too bad!
Shane petting the cheetahs after our group picture. You can tell the cheetah is a little unsure of this situation.
The cheetahs standing up after nearly taking Rick's hand off. They looked so beautiful here!
The cheetah brothers enjoying each others company.
********************
Upon entry to the area where they keep the cheetahs.
Shane reaching down to pet the cheetah as we first approached them.
Curtis and I petting the cheetah.
The cheetah wasn't too happy with Curtis and snapped at him, so Curtis decided it was time to give him some distance.
Shane and I deciding to take a picture together with the cheetah. I'm a little nervous after he growled at Curtis.
The cheetah raised up a little and was telling me to watch out...I was a little freaked out!
Me looking at Victor after being "told" by the cheetah to back up! Look at my husband, laughing at me while the cheetah is growling. Thanks Shane!
Just another pose of me thinking what should I do next...
...And the cheetah tells me to just get the heck out of there, so I did! Yep, Shane's still laughing at me!
Then the cheetah gets up and walks away...apparently he had enough of us!
But we don't give up so easily...we go in and pose next to the cheetah brothers.We went with our fellow Botswana Marines...They are Rick, Me, and Victor in the front; Curtis and Shane in the back.


2 comments:
Very Cool Pictures Jody!
Amazing- what a great experience!
Post a Comment