Background

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Autostrada

The Autostrada in Italy (Autobahn in Germany) is AMAZING! For the majority of the highway there is no speed limit. You can cruise along at whatever speed you feel comfortable. Shane usually maintained his speed at 160 km/h (100 mph). This was pretty much the limit for our little Fiat. I mostly drove at 140 km/h (87 mph). It was a nice break to drive on smooth roads with visible exits that were not filled with idiotic drivers, which we encounter daily in Dushanbe. I would highly recommend driving on the Autostrada! The autostrada is also a toll road. For about a 40 mile distance we paid 4 Euros. To go to Venice, it cost 8 Euros to use the toll roads (round trip). The side roads, roads off the autostrada were nice as well, but SO many traffic circles. The traffic circles were insane...one could go dizzy driving on these roads! At least, for the most part, cities were well marked. I realize now that I did not take any pictures of the toll booths or traffic circles...maybe next time!
Shane in the Fiat. What a classic cheesy grin from Shane! I love the raised shift stick in the Fiat. It also really made me miss driving stick. I think my next car should be a manual!
Shane getting in the car to leave the city of CastelFranco
Austostrada...tunnel ahead!
Uh-oh...Speed limit ahead...don't worry you can still go 70 mph through this area.

No comments: