Background

Friday, September 19, 2008

Fort Saalburg



I have always had a strong interest in history, especially European history. When I read about Frankfurt, Fort Saalburg was one place that caught my eye. An old Roman Fort...this was one place I HAD to check out on my trip.

Shane and I took the train to Bad Homburg (about a 15 minute train ride, north of Frankfurt Main). We arrived in Bad Homburg ready to take the bus up to Saalburg, but to our surprise the bus didn't come for another 2 hours. So we walked around Bad Homburg, exploring the city on this rainy Saturday afternoon. We found an oldies car show in the pedestrian shopping zone with some gorgeous cars; Beautiful statues and fountains; churches; but alas Shane could find no Starbucks (his one indulgence while on this trip to Germany, as it is not available in Tajikistan).
 
We finally caught the bus and traveled for about 20 minutes up to Saalburg. We walked up the slick hill to find this reconstructed fort. There were some interesting displays of historical artifacts, and gorgeous brick walls surrounding the fort. But, it only took 30 minutes to explore the whole grounds. We walked down to the bus to find it did not come back for another two hours....What to do?! We walked around and explored some of the hiking trails. Quite the afternoon!
While Fort Saalburg was interesting, it was a little disappointing and the lack of frequent transportation did not help matters.

However, I am inspired to make a trip to Italy and see what awaits there. I'm hoping the historical sites there are more intriguing!

No comments: